Do I golf? Not really. But the adorable tassels on these suede golf shoes were calling my name. I found this button-down shirt at the DUMBO Parents’ Association stoop sale right before hitting the road in June. It had a tiny rip in the sleeve that’s completely undetectable in the business of flowers and clouds now that I’ve patched it. I ended up wearing this shirt constantly on my June travels because California was way colder than I expected and Mississippi was chronically over air-conditioned. I love this ensemble so much that I wore it (minus the golf shoes because I couldn’t get the cleats off in time) to my very first AIGA New York board meeting!
Can you spot the patch job in this pattern?
- striped scarf - $0.50, Columbus Palmer Home Thrift
- button-down shirt - $5.00, DUMBO Parents’ Association Stoop Sale
- red tie belt - free (because vendor liked me!), Alameda Swap Meet
- linen skirt - $3.00, Starkville Palmer Home Thrift
- suede tasseled golf shoes - $2.00, Starkville Palmer Home Thrift
- TOTAL - $10.50
I couldn’t pass up this rainbow top when I spotted it at my friend Amy’s Brooklyn Flea booth. But I couldn’t find the right bottom to coordinate with it. That is until my mom took a trip up to the attic and came down with my original Girl Scout skirt. I almost passed out when I realized it still fits (thanks in part to the smart elastic panels hidden in the waist). I had a love/hate relationship with this uniform in Junior High and High School. While my inner costume wearer dug putting it on, I dreaded being the nerdy girl who wore it. It’s fun to embrace it now as an adult who’s comfortable with herself, nerdiness and all. And who remembered Bill Blass designed for the Girl Scouts? In his infinite wisdom, he added the functionality of pockets. Sweet!
- button-down blouse - $10.00, Jelly Roll at Brooklyn Flea
- espadrille sandals - $2.00 (unworn!), Starkville Salvation Army Thrift
- fabric belt - hand-me-down from my mom
- skirt - from the attic, Bill Blass for Girl Scouts of the U.S.A. (c. 1991)
- Know Your Poodle paperback - $1.00, Starkville Salvation Army Thrift
- TOTAL - $13.00 with book, $12.00 without